The company that eventually became Nissei Sangyo was established on April 12, 1947, as Hinode Shokai Co., Ltd., in Minato-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, as a direct affiliate of Hitachi, Ltd. selling electrification equipment to farming and fishing villages. The company’s name was changed to Nissei Sangyo Co., Ltd. in October. Nissei Sangyo sold and exported Hitachi products and procured materials for Hitachi. In 1949 the company started handling scientific equipment, and in the 1960s it was put in charge of sales of industrial instruments and electrical machinery. Nissei Sangyo was listed on the second section of the Tokyo Stock exchange in 1971.
The company achieved considerable success exporting products such as electronic equipment, electronic parts, and automated biochemical analyzers. Among its notable achievements were OEM contracts to supply computers to the German firm BASF and VCRs to Sears in the United States.
At the time of the merger, Nissei Sangyo’s business activities ranged from scientific equipment and semiconductor manufacturing and testing equipment to information systems, industrial systems, semiconductors, and advanced materials, while also spanning the nanotechnology and life sciences fields.