Atomic Force Microscope AFM5500M
The AFM5500M is an AFM platform equipped with a fully addressable 4-inch stage, optimized for medium-sized samples. It affords exceptional levels of ease of use, automation, and accuracy, as well as correlation for AFM/SEM investigations.
Ease of Use
Significantly simplifying the AFM operation
- Wide-open tip and sample access
- Fully addressable 4-inch stage eliminating the need for sample remount/rotation
- Point-and-click function enabling easy and quick camera-based sample navigation
- All built-in accessories allowing seamless and software-controlled mode switching
Easy and quick positioning
Easier, faster, and more precise AFM imaging
- Automated cantilever exchange
- Automated laser alignment
- Automated image optimization (RealTune® II)
- Automated AFM measurements following a recipe
Enhanced accuracy of AFM measurements
- Flexure-based design providing superior flat and orthogonal scan
- Closed-loop scanner allowing highly linear and accurate imaging
- Low sensor noise yielding high-resolution and high-quality results
- Tip evaluation capability ensuring probe quality and artifact-free images
Conventional AFM with a piezoelectric tube scanner requires data flattening or leveling because of its intrinsic curved motion. However, this flattening may distort a sample' s micro-surface structure, including its Z value. The newly developed AFM5500M is equipped with a flexure-based scanner that enables well-controlled raster scans along X and Y directions only. As a result, this advanced scanner design can effectively eliminate background curvatures in a wide scan area and improve the accuracy of AFM measurements.
Using a conventional piezoelectric tube scanner can cause cross-talk when bending the tube scanner.
This cross-talk leads to distortions and asymmetrization. The improved AFM5500M’s scanner reduces cross-talk making both accurate and symmetric measurements possible.
* AFM5100N (with an open-loop scanner)
Correlative AFM and SEM Imaging
The Hitachi-proprietary SEM/AFM shared alignment holder provides quick and easy measurements and analysis of topography, structures, composition, and surface property.
AFM and SEM Measurements of the Same Area (Sample:Graphene/SiO2)
Overlay images of SEM, AFM (topography), and KFM (surface potential)
- It can be concluded from AFM cross-session height measurements that those contrast differences in the SEM image are corresponding to the variation of graphene layers in the AFM image.
- It indicates that surface potential (work function) of graphene sheets is highly dependent on the sample thickness, i.e., the number of graphene layers.
- High-precision 3D topographic data in conjunction with the electrical property examination provide strong evidence for identifying the root cause of captured variations in SEM contrasts.
Hitachi High-Tech Science will continue to develop AFM-correlated systems with other types of microscopes and inspection equipment.
|Stage||Automated, fully addressable 100 mm (4 inch) stage
Travel range: XY ±50 mm (2 inch), Z ≥21 mm
Minimum step size: XY 2 µm, Z 0.04 µm
|Sample Size||Diameter: 100 mm (4 inch)
Thickness: 20 mm
Weight: 2 kg
|Scan Range||200 µm x 200 µm x 15 µm (XY: Closed loop control, Z: Displacement sensor)|
|RMS Noise Level*||≤0.04 nm (High-resolution mode)|
|Repeatability*||XY: ≤15 nm(3σ, measuring 10 µm pitch)/Z: ≤1 nm (3σ, measuring 100 nm depth)|
|Bow*||≤2 nm/50 µm|
|Detection||Optical lever (Low-coherence light)|
|Top-viewOptical Microscope||Zoom magnification: x1 to x7
Field of vision: 910 µm x 650 µm to 130 µm x 90 µm
Monitor magnification: x465 to x3255 (27 inch monitor)
|Anti-vibration||Desktop active anti-vibration 500 mm(W) x 600 mm (D) x 84 mm (H), approximately 28kg|
|Soundproof Cover||750 mm(W) x 877 mm (D) x 1400 mm(H), approximately 237 kg|
|Size||400 mm(W) x 526 mm(D) x 550 mm(H), approximately 90 kg|
* System performance depends on installation environment and its configuration.
|RealTune® II||Automatic tuning of cantilever amplitude (DFM), contact force, scan speed, and feedback gains
(Various tuning modes including Auto, Fast, Soft, Rough, and Point)
|Various Functions||Operating instructions; Tab structure (Measurement/ Analysis); Measurement area indicator/ Measurement area tracking window; Batch processing; and Tip calibration|
|Operating Voltage||0 to 150 V|
|4 channels (max. 2048 x 2048)
2 channels (max. 4096 x 4096)
|Rectangular Scan||2:1, 4:1, 8:1, 16:1, 32:1, 64:1, 128:1, 256:1, 512:1, 1,024:1|
|Analysis Software||3D display and overlay, Roughness, Cross-section, Average cross-section|
|Automated Functions||Automated cantilever exchange and laser alignment|
|Size||340 mm(W) x 503 mm(D) x 550 mm(H), approximately 34 kg|
|Power Supply||AC 100 to 240 V ±10 %|
|Measurement Modes||AFM(contact mode), DFM (tapping mode), PM, FFM, LM-FFM, VE-AFM, Adhesion, Current, Pico-Current, SSRM, PRM, KFM, EFM（AC), EFM（DC), MFM, SIS-Topography, SIS-Property|
* RealTune is a registered trademark of Hitachi High-Tech Science Corporation in Japan, the United States, and the European Union.
|Compatible Hitachi SEM||SU8240, SU8230 (H36 mm), SU8220 (H29 mm)|
|Sample Holder Size||41 mm(W) x 28 mm(D) x 16 mm(H)|
|Sample Size||Φ20 mm x 7 mm|
|Alignment Accuracy||±10 µm (AFM alignment accuracy)|